Monday, January 15, 2007

Make a list

In an effort to cheer myself up, I've decided to look on the bright side, and embrace the positive aspects of being unemployed.* Please enjoy the following list.

1. I get to spend more time with the kids.

Duh. The kids are great, and I enjoy spending time with them. And, no matter how many times I need to send Boy Wonder to time-out, I'm sure that one day I'll be wearing my rose-colored glasses and waxing nostalgic about The Time I Got To Spend More Time At Home.

2. The dress code can't be beat.

I've always dressed like a scruffy college student on the weekends; now, save for interviews and resume drop-offs, I can do it all the time. I can also experiment with makeup; I've always secretly wanted to wear really dramatic eye makeup every once in a while, and now I can, because the circulation aides at the library and the clerk at Target sure don't care if I'm wearing too much eyeliner. (I've also always wanted to get funky-colored highlights, but as those do not wash off every evening and I am still looking for a professional-level job, that's right out at the moment.)

3. I can sleep late. Uh, relatively speaking.

Baby Boone is a fine sleeper, and Boy Wonder is happy to watch cartoons until 7:30 or so. It's been some time since I've slept this late in the mornings.

4. I don't have to pump much.

Pumping (of the breast variety) was always easy for me, but it is nice to only do it a few times a week now, instead of twice a day every day, with a load of bottles and pump parts to wash every evening and a bag to carry out the door every morning.

5. I don't have to worry about getting The Call.

The Call, otherwise known as "Anithe? Hi, this is Daycare Center Director. Boy Wonder just barfed into his cereal bowl/spiked a fever of 103/is wheezing like an accordion. You'll need to come get him, and he can't come back tomorrow" is not currently a concern. The boys are still in daycare one day a week, but even if The Call comes, it's not like I have anything going on the next day. On a related note, doctor appointments, for me and for the kids, are easy to work into the schedule right now as well.

That's about all I can think of for now! Applied for four jobs today; anyone want to bet how many of them will actually call me?

Anyone?

Are those crickets I hear chirping?

Anyway, I promise that Happy, Optimistic Posts About My Gorgeous and Brilliant Sons are coming soon.

*This is my little reverse psychology trick. Generally, if I am comfortable with my employment situation, that means a change is coming. So, if I act like I'm totally okay with my unemployment situation, the universe will notice, and a change will come! Right? Right? Ri.....hey, where are you going?

1 comment:

IntangibleArts said...

Noooo! No more "betting" for a while... last time it was a seven-dollar lesson in Tempting Fate with Swaggering Boldness. Lesson learned.

Good list, by the way. The laws of Irony may yet swing in your direction. Here's to it...