Monday, January 08, 2007

Conversations with Grandma

I

"Hi, Mom. How are the boys doing?"

"Great. Baby Boone is sleeping, and Boy Wonder is writing you some letters. Aren't you? Are you writing letters to Mommy?"

(in the distance) "Yeah."

"Are you writing letters that say, 'I love you, Mommy'?"

(in the distance) "No, Mommy is kind of mean."

"Well, I'm sure Mommy only hollers at you if you act naughty. And you can sure act naughty sometimes. Hey, what do you think of Grandma? Is Grandma mean?"

(long pause)

"No. But really I like dinosaurs better. Stop asking me questions, Grandma."

II

"I don't want to paint anymore! I want my mommy!"

"Well, Mommy and Daddy are out seeing a movie and having a special dinner.* They'll be back soon, but for now you can visit with Grandma."

"I don't want to. And Baby Boone wants to go home too. He wants Mommy." (Apparently, this was followed by the sounds of Baby Boone laughing with Grandpa in the living room.)

"I think he's having an OK time, actually."

"Grandma? I'm sleepy."

"Really? I never would have guessed that, honey."

*Thanks for those restaurant gift cards and movie passes, relatives! As we drove to the theater yesterday, I realized that I hadn't seen a movie since May. Wow.

No comments: