Friday, January 19, 2007

The affair of the earring

Last year, I received a pair of diamond earrings for Mother's Day. I'd been realizing that having two children left me even less time to accessorize, and I was never big on accessorizing to begin with. So I wanted something I could wear all the time, that would go with anything, and Dragon was kind enough to oblige. And I did wear them all the time.

Shortly after Adventures in Unemployment began, I was supervising Boy Wonder as he bathed one Friday evening, and absently began twirling a lock of hair near my ear. With shock and horror, I then realized that I was only wearing one earring...and I had no idea when the other one had gone missing. I checked everywhere I could think of, but no earring was to be found.

Today, I undertook to clean the bathroom with the new sink, particularly the bathtub, which had been serving as a repository for discarded bits of pipe, a bucket, and general plumbing muck. I decided to wipe out most of the muck with a paper towel first, to avoid clogging the drain. As I did so, I heard something click against the side of the tub. And I lifted the paper towel to investigate.

And beheld a diamond earring, sans back. Grimy, certainly, yet recognizable as the one I lost in November.

It's currently enjoying a leisurely soak in hot, soapy water. It will then undergo another couple of cleansing treatments. Then it will be fitted with an earring back of appropriate size.

And then it will be worn to my interview this afternoon.

Because if that isn't an omen, I don't know what is.

No comments: