Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Twelve weeks

I am realizing that I post about Boy Wonder a lot. Well, duh; I started blogging mostly so I could blather about my children. But I have two, and what I meant to say is, I haven't posted about Baby Boone very much. And, although he might not initiate surreal conversations, put on puppet shows, or loudly sing the alphabet on the drive home, he's definitely worth talking about. So here goes.

Baby Boone was born on 4/5/06, which is a pretty neat birthdate. He has lots and lots of dark hair; right now, it's about collar-length. We're not sure what color his eyes will be; under a strong light or outdoors, they look almost gray-green, but in normal light, they look gray-brown. We'll see what happens. He's very contact-oriented and cuddly. So cuddly, in fact, that for the first few weeks we were home, he woke up crying after twenty minutes in the bassinet, but would sleep soundly for several hours if cuddled against someone's chest or in someone's arms. Usually mine; on days when just the two of us were home together, I'd park in the recliner with the baby, the remote control, and a pile of books, snacks, and beverages. He would wake up to eat, and then drift back to sleep in my arms, and I would hold him for hours.

He's a very mellow baby. Boy Wonder was pretty easygoing as well, but Baby Boone is seriously laid-back. He is also a very quiet baby; until he started cooing recently, he was eerily quiet. He does like to coo, though, and will sometimes interrupt a meal to gaze up at me and say, "Lah! Hai. Oooh," and other charming, vowel-heavy things.

His smile is like the dawn breaking, and I will do any number of silly things to see it spread across his face. He seems to enjoy watching his brother, as Boy Wonder dances around his bouncy chair waving a stuffed dinosaur at him; this morning he smiled hugely, and made a noise that was almost a laugh.

He is beautiful. He will always be, to me, and you can quote me on this. Even in twelve, or thirteen, or fourteen years, when he will no longer be a cuddly baby and might tell me that he hates me, or that the way I dress, or talk, or walk, or do anything is horribly humiliating to him. His sweet baby smile will always be with me.

Baby Boone is twelve weeks old today. Happy twelve-week birthday, kid. May you have many more.

No comments: