Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The mother monologue

Here's what I said on the drive home today. See if you can fill in the other end of the conversation.

So, you had a fun day at school? Oh, good.
I'm sure Grandma will take you to the flower garden. You'll have to ask her, though.
You can call Grandma when we get home.
NO. You can call Grandma when we get home.
Yes, I know I called Daddy on the way home yesterday. (Whoops.)
I'm sure Grandma will think that's fine.
YOU CAN CALL GRANDMA WHEN WE GET HOME.
You had what for lunch?
And did you like it?
Yes, Daddy likes meatloaf.
I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa do too.
No, your brother is too little to have meatloaf.
No, he can't even have little meatloaves.
I know he's getting bigger. But he's not big enough for meatloaf yet.
Yes, you're growing and growing!
Yes, the big sign with the dancing man is gone.
I don't know.
No, I'm pretty sure our neighbors didn't move it.
Yes, it was a silly sign.
ABCDEFG, HIJKLMNOP. QRSTUV, WXY and Z. Now I know my ABCs, next time won't you sing with me.
Because the light is red.
No, green means go.
No, red means...never mind. You'll figure it out in a few years.
No, I don't have a lollipop for you.
I'm sure the doctor will have a lollipop for you next time.
That's right, your brother can't have a lollipop.
Not even a little one.
Yes, he just made a little noise.
No, it's not because I said he couldn't have a lollipop.
Oh look, we're home!

(This is why I don't listen to the radio in the car anymore. The live entertainment can't be beat.)

No comments: