Sunday, June 04, 2006

Brand recognition

Target is my favorite store. There are Targets everywhere, they are open most of the time, and they have great clearance sales; in fact, most of my wardrobe comes from their clearance racks. And, for the past few years, we've been lucky enough to live in apartments that are very close to a Target. This came in especially handy after Boy Wonder was born; once a baby joins the household, there is always something you need, and chances are you can find it at Target. (Which reminds me, I need to go buy wipes.) So I went there at least once a week. And then, we moved cross-country when Boy Wonder was eleven months old...and once you move, there is always something you need, and chances are...etc. So I spent a lot of time at Target then, too.

Therefore, I'm not surprised that Boy Wonder quickly learned to recognize the Target logo, and to request trips to Target in his chirpy little voice. We've visited several of the Targets in our fair city, and he's designated them as Mommy's Target (the one at the end of the block), Grandma's Target (the one near my parents' house), and The Big Target (a new, spacious Target about ten minutes away). All of these different Targets can lead to some confusion, sometimes.

So yesterday, Dragon and I were not satisfied with some of the produce options at the supermarket, and we decided to hit the local fruit market. Boy Wonder asked where we were going, and we told him...

Boy Wonder: We're going to the fruit Target? Where is that?
Me: No honey, the fruit market.
Boy Wonder: The fruit Target! Target is having a fruit sale!

Fortunately, he wasn't too disappointed when we pulled into the parking lot of the fruit market.

No comments: