Friday, March 16, 2007

Job search bulletin

I was recently tallying up the number of interviews I've had since becoming unemployed, and the results are in: that would be five, ladies and gentlemen! (I am not counting the one where the interviewer began the interview by saying, "So, you can work from 11AM until 8PM, right?" Um, no. Y'all should really mention that in your ad.)

The fifth interview took place today: just about an hour ago, in fact. Good things about today's interview: the job sounds excellent, and the department sounds like a fun group of people. The interviewer mentioned several times that she was really enjoying talking with me, and that it seemed like I have a fabulous skill set. She started to ask, "And how's your attendance record been?" and then said, "Well, really. You showed up early today, and you certainly don't look like someone who has attendance issues." Well hey, I like The Black Suit too. This sounds great, right? Well, sure it does. However. Bad things about today's interview: THAT'S WHAT THEY ALL SAY. No, really. All of my previous interviewers said that they were really enjoying talking with me. One of them even said that she could see me fitting in with their team quite easily. And all of my "Sorry, we're going to move on to other candidates" comments have been along the lines of, "We really liked you, and you have many admirable qualities. But."

I never realized that being sociable and pleasant could actually work against me. Not directly, of course, but please enjoy this latest bout of self-examination right along with me. Now, I can see why people enjoy talking with me. I have a pleasant speaking voice and a calm manner. I'm courteous yet friendly. I can adjust my communication style, going from brusque and no-nonsense to warm and empathetic in the time it takes many people to say, "Gosh, you want to know what my goals are? Well, let's see..." (I started out as a drama major.) I smile frequently, make the appropriate amount of eye contact, and apply (gentle, inoffensive) humor if the occasion calls for it. I think my personality would be a great fit for a lot of offices, really.

Of course, companies don't hire for personality alone. And that's as it should be. Just because I can interact pleasantly with just about anybody doesn't mean that I'm the most qualified candidate for the job. It is, however, discouraging to keep hearing, "You know, I'm really enjoying this meeting here. I think you'd be a wonderful fit with our team of engineers/editorial staff/front office group/battalion of Spartan soldiers!" and waiting to hear back about that vaunted second interview...and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting some more. And then getting the "Though we really enjoyed meeting with you and feel that you have fine experience/a wonderful resume/enthusiastic references/admirable qualities/lovely, expressive green eyes, we will be moving forward with other candidates" letter (or email).

So, hurrah for my pleasant, sociable personality and tidy appearance; at least they're complimenting the skills I do have, and I know that I'm not being turned down because of a lousy resume, bad references, or unpleasant body odor. And hurrah, too, for my adaptability, sense of humor, and ability to hit the ground running, because those are awfully useful traits to have when the "Thanks but no thanks" letters come.

No comments: