Friday, March 09, 2007

Action (Hero) - adventure stories

Action Hero has had quite an eventful month, which I've been meaning to blog about for a while now. Without further ado, here is what he's been up to lately.

Celebrating "R" Virus Awareness Month:

First, he got rotavirus, which was heralded by a day and a half of progressively stinkier diapers and an even more impressive vomiting episode. (I'd just finished nursing him, and he'd nearly drifted off to sleep but woke up when the Scooby-Doo theme started playing. I took him into our computer room and said to Dragon, "Darn, he was almost sleeping just now! I don't think he's feeling good, though." Action Hero agreed with me immediately, coughing and then drenching my front with everything he'd eaten that day. And I do mean "everything." I have never had the meaning of the term "blow chunks" made so clear to me.) After a week or so, his stomach (and diapers) finally returned to normal. At which point he suddenly developed a roaring fever that lasted for three days and did not accompany any other symptoms. It broke on a Monday, and he seemed better, but on Tuesday I got The Call from daycare; he had a rash. Then things became clear: textbook case of roseola. We are hoping to avoid rubella and other viruses that begin with "r." Instead, he now has hives, and has had some blood drawn to be tested for food allergies.

Increased playing action:

For a while now, Action Hero has enjoyed picking up objects and marching around the house with them. Recently, this has taken on another element: now, he picks up an item, holds it out toward you as though he's going to bring it to you, and then turns around and runs (no, seriously, it is pretty close to actual running) away giggling. Then, you must chase him, saying "Baby has a box/car/Elmo/cell phone/CD! I must have that box/car/Elmo/cell phone/CD!" as he continues to run around and giggle.

Action Hero phone home (sort of):

He likes to hold my cell phone. It is small, silver, and shiny, so I imagine it is quite alluring to him. And I always wondered what he would do if it chanced to ring while he was holding it. This thought floated through my head as I talked with my mother on the (regular) phone earlier this week, and I vocalized it. She said, "Oh, I'll have your dad get my cell phone and call your cell phone!" When it rang, he looked at it with mild surprise and then turned to me, held out the phone, and began grinning like anything and bouncing up and down. Rather like, "LOOK WHAT I DID I MADE THE PHONE RING!!!!!!!" Gosh, he was pleased with himself.

Baby of bravery:

I can't imagine why I forgot to blog about this months ago, but our pediatrician requests a blood draw at the nine-month appointment. Lab techs do not like to draw blood from infants, due to the high likelihood that the infant will begin screaming like an elf who's just fallen off the bridge at the Battle of Helm's Deep. (I'm reaching here. Sorry.) And so it was with great trepidation that the tech and the receptionist (enlisted to hold Action Hero's other arm as he sat in my lap) approached him for the blood draw. Their trepidation turned to astonishment as he sat calmly in my lap the whole time, looking up at them like, "What's the big deal here, guys?" He repeated the same feat yesterday, when his blood was drawn for allergy-testing purposes. Boy Wonder is not so stoic when it comes to needles, but if I'd had one stuck in my arm when I was six hours old, and then had it left there for a week, I'd probably be cranky about that too. (Will I blog about that someday? Why, yes! Eventually.)

In summary, Action Hero is a lovely, wonderful baby with lots of talents.

Next up: Boy Wonder's latest verbal gems.

No comments: