Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Here in my car...oh, wait

"Mommy? Is this our new car?"

"No, honey. It's Nanny's car, remember? We went to her house yesterday and put your car seats in this car, and then we took Mommy's car to the car-fixing place."

"Oh. Yeah." (pause) "Why do we have to borrow Nanny's car ALL THE TIME?"

My car, it has no sense of timing. In the middle of winter, it started stalling alarmingly at intersections, and was taken to Trusted Family Mechanic, who diagnosed it with a failing transmission. Of COURSE my car needs expensive repairs while I'm unemployed. (It also needed an oil leak fixed, but on the Car Repair Expense scale, that's a $ compared to a transmission's $$$$.) I had a brief panic about what I would drive while my car's transmission and oil leak were being repaired, but then my mother reminded me that my grandmother does not drive anymore and would no doubt lend me her car while mine was in the shop. So we borrowed Nanny's car for a week or so, and Boy Wonder seemed to enjoy it. So did I; power locks are rather easy to get used to, and are quite handy when transporting multiple children and assorted diaper, grocery, and discount store bags. It even has a trunk release inside the car, which my car for some reason does not have.

Last week, I realized that there was once again oil all over the garage floor, and made arrangements to re-borrow my grandmother's car. Then, just to shake things up, my car had a flat tire on Friday. As flat tires go, it was well-timed and conveniently located (after the job interview, before I picked up the kids, and right in front of a Starbucks), but it still meant that I had to spend Saturday getting the tire taken care of, instead of being able to drop off my entire car. With the assistance of my father, who feels strongly about helping his womenfolk out with car issues (Mom never has to fill her own gas tank), the entire car made it into the shop yesterday. And I am once again enjoying the power locks on Nanny's car, although apparently Boy Wonder is not. (Action Hero seems to enjoy it; for some reason, this car inspires him to babble extensively.)

No comments: