Thursday, March 13, 2008

Progress report

May I present Happy and Grumpy? (Guess which is which.)




Actually, "Grumpy" is not all that accurate. More like, "May I present Happy and Too Cool to Smile and Wave at Camera?" Or perhaps, "May I present Happy and Wears Crayon in Hat, Which is Not Really Supposed to be Worn Indoors Anyway?"

Nah, "Grumpy" is shorter. And Happy is pretty accurate.

So, yay! Kids! This blog is supposed to be about them, after all. And they are doing all sorts of fascinating things lately.

Action Hero is a little star, and is generally as happy as he appears in the photo above. Unless I leave the room, and then he looks serious, pops his thumb in his mouth, and follows me. He has recently become quite enamored of toy cars. Hot Wheels, Matchbox, toy from Happy Meal, whatever. This also means that we watch the movie Cars a lot, and he runs around talking about Acqueena (Lightning McQueen, in toddler-ese) quite a lot. He is getting better at communicating overall; last Saturday morning, he said, "Car pay for carcar go vroomvroom shicken!" and instead of being utterly confused, I said, "Oh, you want to play with your cars and make them go vroom on the kitchen floor? Go for it, man." (The kitchen floor is the best place to make cars go vroom, as it turns out; they don't work so well on carpeting. Unfortunately, they often vroom right under the stove; it's like a little parking structure under there. I will have to retrieve them soon, lest we end up with Matchbox Melt on the linoleum.) He is also very interested in being a Big Boy lately. His daycare teacher mentioned that he had been asking to use the potty, and I thought, Yeah, whatever...he's not even two. He's just asking because he sees other kids doing it and wants to pretend he can. So naturally, last night, he said, "Potty," did a little dance, and then used his little training potty. Twice. I suppose we must work on this now.

Boy Wonder is still voicing every thought that floats through his head, and then some. His questions are getting more complicated, though; the latest was, "If a shark ate a crab and then the crab pinched the shark's throat, what would happen" Dude, I don't know. And what is it with the questions about crabs, anyway? He can recite the full names of everyone in our household, knows our address, and is working on my phone number. He likes school, and says that his favorite class is gym. Oh, and music. Oh, and art. And computer too. Mostly, he is nice to his littel brother, and always introduces him proudly. Recent variations include, "This is my baby brother Action Hero and he is just like me! He is just the same as me!" (one girl said, "Oh my God, it's a mini-Boy Wonder!") and "Look who my mom brought with her to pick me up! This is my baby brother! Action Hero, come say hi to everyone!" Boy Wonder, though very accomplished and smart, is not always in a fine mood; he is four and often likes to see what happens when he casually says, "No," when instructed to get dressed for school, brush his teeth, or do anything that requires tearing himself away from toys or a cartoon. I suppose we must work on this now. There may be a sticker chart involved; stay tuned.

As for me (hey, it says "and their mom" up there too), I feel rather like a hamster running on a wheel. There are children, home, work, overtime, and school. There is a bathtub that won't drain, a basement that needs a good scrubbing, an attic that may need a mousetrap or two (at first I thought it was a squirrel, but reliable sources inform me that one or two mice can sound like the Charge of the Light Brigade if the house is quiet), and a backyard with a lot of melting snow that will hopefully not all trickle into the basement. There are closets that need reorganizing and household items to be obtained, and there are always, ALWAYS, dishes that need washing.* There is handsome overtime pay, but there are also clogged sinuses, homework that really needs doing, and a nap to be taken.

Did someone say nap? Excuse me.

*The management would like to announce that most of the dishes were clean this evening, courtesy of Dragon. Thanks, dear.

1 comment:

IntangibleArts said...

If memory serves, Matchbox cars were vastly cooler than Hot Wheels.

And at the age of four, I too had a strange fascination with crabs, lobsters, and other pinching crustaceans. Mum recorded some of these conversations for posterity and, praise Allah, kept the cassette.

Not sure if that's meaningful, but amusing at least? And yes: A nap would be lovely.