Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Book drop

Today's post is for my father-in-law, who recently returned a book he borrowed and left a couple more along with it.

Last night, I got home from class around 10:00, as is par for the course on Tuesdays, and surveyed the living room in dismay. The piles of clean laundry had not only not magically folded themselves and trotted themselves upstairs, they had actually multiplied. And more junk had arrived, too, and for some reason there was a small stack of books on the couch.

"Dragon! What's with the books...oh, wait, here's I Am Legend and Assorted Other Creepy Tales That Will Send You Running for the Brain Bleach, Including the One About the Zuni Fetish.* Did your dad stop by?"

"I guess; when I opened the door to check the mail those were behind the screen door."

"Hey, he brought the new Ken Follett one! Awesome! But what's he doing reading Alice Sebold?"

"Who?"

Anyway. Three cheers for new books, and I'll get started on those directly. World Without End, amen.

*Part of this title MIGHT be a slight exaggeration.

No comments: