Saturday, February 10, 2007

Curses! Foiled again!

Boy Wonder has been cursing a lot lately. Not, you know, actual CURSING cursing, in which he repeats things he hears me say when someone cuts me off as we're about to turn into the library parking lot. (Whew. Although, a while back, he did casually inqure, "Mommy, can I have my damn sweater please?" And then, after we talked a bit about language, he took great delight in saying, "Mommy? We shouldn't say 'damn'! 'Damn' is not a nice word! No one should say 'damn'!") Little-kid cursing, in which the kid echoes the sentiments of cartoon characters.

A recent selection:

"Aw, pickles!"

This one is from Higglytown Heroes, one of the Disney Channel's weirder offerings.

"Oh, barnacles!"

"Oh, barnacle-head!"

"Oh, tartar sauce!"

The above three, with their seafaring flavor, are from . . . well, he lives in a pineapple under the sea. Enough said.

"Oh, bodda!"

It took me a few minutes to get this one, until I remembered that several Winnie the Pooh movies have been in the rotation recently. Oh bother, indeed.

"Jinkies!" (var.: "Zoinks!")

Scooby-dooby-doo, where are you . . .

"Oh, toenails!"

Your guess is as good as mine.

3 comments:

IntangibleArts said...

Interesting...you can thank yr.lucky stars Mork & Mindy isn't in heavy syndication these days... I'm still haunted by the Orkian curse "shazbot!"

(spelling of "shazbot" not verified, although as soon as I post this comment, I will double-check)

IntangibleArts said...

Follow-up: Wikipedia confirms the spelling. All is well.

Anonymous said...

Nanu Nanu!!