Sunday, November 19, 2006

Oh, deer

I live in Wisconsin, and it is November. Blaze orange jackets are everywhere, the term "hunting widows" shows up frequently in conversation, and The Hunting and Fishing Cookbook is being displayed prominently at local grocery stores and bookstores. In other words, it's deer-hunting season...and today I got a rather tangible reminder of that.

After a stroll to the library, the boys and I were heading back home. Boy Wonder, in the front of the stroller where he could see everything, was commenting on all of the houses we were passing.

"Look, some train tracks! A white house! Christmas lights! I wish we had some Christmas lights. With Mickey Mouse! And...Mommy, what's that?"

I looked, and was momentarily at a loss for words.

"Uh! Well, those are some men! And they're standing by their truck!" I said brightly. "Now, about those Christmas lights..."

"No, Mommy, that's a DEER on top of the truck! It's SLEEPING. And there are more train tracks! And pumpkins! Why are pumpkins on that porch?"

Well, there you go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AAHH! I heard about your misfortune this past Friday!! So very sorry!! :-(