Sunday, October 08, 2006

Lost and found

The Christmas before Boy Wonder was born, one of my Christmas gifts was a very nice new cordless phone. We used it enthusiastically for a few months, and then decided to get a cell phone, for the usual reason that couples get a cell phone during the last few months of a pregnancy. We ended up liking the cell phone so much that when it was time to renew our phone contract, we decided to get a cell phone for each of us and drop the land line entirely. The fine new cordless phone went into a box, and a month later we moved from Arizona to Wisconsin. We didn't get a land line hooked up in the new apartment, and so the phone stayed in a box. Now, however, we have decided to have a land line in addition to cell phones, and lately I have devoted some energy to searching for the cordless phone so we can use it. It was not where I expected it to be, and then it wasn't in the other place I expected it to be. Still, I knew it was in a box. Somewhere.

During the last trimester of my pregnancy with Baby Boone, Dragon and I searched frantically for the bag of newborn-sized clothing. We looked in the apartment, in my parents' attic, and in the storage unit. We did not find them anywhere, but I knew they were in a box. Somewhere.

Most recently, the weather turned chilly for a few days, and Dragon was reminded that during winter, he needs to wear an extra layer under his work uniform. So we searched the storage bins and a variety of packing boxes for his thermal undergarments, and we did not find them anywhere. Still, I knew they were in a box. Somewhere.

Last weekend, we finally moved all of our possessions into the new house, and everything from the storage unit went into our basement. And tonight, I decided to go on an expedition. My object: find the cordless phone.

I found the newborn-sized clothing packed away in a box with the Christmas decorations. I am not sure why I put it in there, but I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time. Of course, now that Baby Boone is six (!) months old, he's already outgrown it.

I found the thermals, and they were where I expected them to be. Yesterday, while in the basement, I noticed a large tote bag, and opened it to find a large plastic bag; through the top of it, I could see a few polo shirts. This morning, I thought, "Hey! I'll bet Dragon's thermals are in that bag!" And lo, they were.

I found an astonishing variety of tote bags, many of which were crumpled up and shoved into other tote bags. And when I say "astonishing variety," I mean, "at least a dozen, including a rather nice insulated lunch cooler

I found an old purse, which I may wash and kick back into action; my current one is too big and getting overstuffed. (The amount of junk I keep in my purse expands to fill the purse.)

I found all of our cassette tapes, including all of the workout mix tapes I made when I was going to the gym regularly...which was in 2001. Oh, dear.

As for the phone...no luck. The search continues, although quite frankly I have no idea where to look next.

Hey...St. Anthony?

No comments: