Monday, September 25, 2006

21st-century digital boy

Boy Wonder picked his own outfit today. Last time he did this, he ended up with dueling camouflage: a light blue camo shirt with desert camo pants. This morning, he left the house wearing a Buzz Lightyear T-shirt, an Elmo sweatshirt, and Thomas the Tank Engine light-up shoes. (He has a thing for Thomas footwear, even though he doesn't like the show. Last time Grandma took him shopping, he picked out Thomas bedroom slippers. The furry Elmo slippers freaked him out a little.) Oh, and Spiderman underwear. Kids' pants: the final character-free frontier.

When I went to go pick him up at daycare, he and the rest of his class were playing outside. He and another boy were each sitting on big plastic blocks, with another couple of plastic blocks in front of them. I wondered what they were doing: flying rocket ships? Driving cars? Steering fire engines?

"Hi, Mommy! I'm watching the TV." said Boy Wonder.

"You're...watching TV?"

"Yeah! I have a really big TV!" the other little boy chimed in.

"Yeah, I'm watching TV here. But you know what? This TV's not working very well, Mommy. I think we should go watch TV at home."

No comments: