Friday, February 08, 2008

There's no business like snow business

So, we got some snow this week.

Okay, we got a lot of snow this week.

All right, we got SEVENTEEN DAMN INCHES of snow this week. Eighteen, if you count the extra inch our fair suburb got. Everything closed except Dragon's office, and we have no idea why they stayed open, as the weather made much of their normal day-to-day work impossible. Even my office, which is not known for closing, told everyone to go home at 2:00. (I was already home, as my very own supervisor had told those of us who made it in to get the heck out of there before we ended up stuck in a snowbank somewhere.)

And the wind chill this weekend is supposed to be -35. As in, 35 degrees below zero.

The global is not warming. At least, not here in Wisconsin. When Great Cthulhu emerges from the depths of Lake Michigan (why not?) to begin his journey to the Oval Office, he will no doubt whack his head on an ice floe on his way up, and become just as cranky as most of the people in southeastern Wisconsin. It's not like we're not used to snow here, but this winter has so far featured a touch more than usual. I believe our fair city, which generally averages about 30 to 35 inches of snow per winter, has just hit 60 to 65 inches.

Boy Wonder is very pleased with the snow, and enjoyed "helping" us shovel on Wednesday. Action Hero does not like it much, getting weepy and saying, "Colda. Colda. Wet!" when taken outside. Dragon is half-dead from exhaustion, after shoveling three times on Wednesday and chopping a whole bunch of ice yesterday. And I really, really miss Tucson right now.


Update on the ears: oddly enough, the eardrums are not actually busted. Apparently, my sinuses are so messed up that they a) caused all the ear drainage and b) are somehow responsible for the hearing loss. My doctor drew a little diagram for me, to illustrate what exactly was going on, but I neglected to take it with me when I left the exam room. At any rate, my left ear started working again on Wednesday, but I STILL can't hear out of the right ear. Things are going to seem very loud when this all clears up.

1 comment:

wordwitch said...

You should plan a trip to Tucson this December - sometime around Xmas...We could all hang out and be WARM!!! (C & I are planning a trip then, can ya tell?)

Good news about your ears. I'm still gimpy, but starting to exercise and bend the knee (ouch). It's really depressing to watch my calf muscle continue disappear though....sigh....it won't come back until I start putting weight on the leg/foot, which won't happen for at LEAST another 3-4 weeks....double sigh.
Seriously though....think about joining us in Tucson.